Thanks to invisible orthodontics, we can say that adult orthodontics has become more standardized in recent years. And this is great! Since this treatment is, in most cases, the best option to correct the bite and achieve the correct position of the dental pieces.
However, it is normal to have certain doubts about orthodontics in adults. One of the most frequent questions the orthodontist receives is related to the age limit at which it is possible to begin orthodontic treatment. In today’s article we answer this question. We tell you up to what age I can have orthodontic treatment and what is the best age for orthodontics.
Recommended reading: Orthodontic toothbrushes: types and characteristics of the most recommended ones
Up to what age can orthodontics be done?
If you are wondering ‘can I have orthodontic treatment at age 45’, ‘can I have orthodontic treatment at age 55’ or ‘can I still have orthodontic treatment’ you will be pleased to know that orthodontic treatment can be done at any age. We have patients who start orthodontics over 65 years of age, but it is essential that the treatment is indicated and supervised by an experienced orthodontist, like the ones you will find at Clínica Noguerol.
In addition, orthodontic treatment for adults today is more discreet and safer than ever, which is all the more reason why more and more people are opting for orthodontics, regardless of their age. However, there are some aspects to be taken into account.
- As the years go by, it may become more complicated to correct the alignment of the teeth. Contrary to what happens in children, at an advanced age the maxillary bones are fully developed, so the eruption cannot be guided. That is why in some cases orthodontics is accompanied by surgery.
- The existence of previous dental treatments, such as veneers or dental implants, should be evaluated. This does not have to be an impediment to orthodontics, but each case is different and requires the evaluation of the orthodontist.
- The most important thing to access orthodontics in adults is to have good oral health. In case of suffering gingivitis or periodontitis it will be necessary to treat it before.
Ideal age to start orthodontic treatment
The ideal age to start orthodontic treatment varies according to the individual circumstances of each patient. Specialists recommend that children begin orthodontic treatment at approximately 12 years of age, when the child’s permanent teeth are in place. Although in some cases it will be advisable to start earlier, with interceptive orthodontics. This allows treatment to be simpler and less costly, since the bones and teeth are still developing.
If the problem is detected later, treatment is still possible. In any case, it is important to see an orthodontist for evaluation and appropriate treatment.
Adult Orthodontics Prices
The price of orthodontics depends on each case, mainly on the type of orthodontics and the duration of the treatment.
- Orthodontics with metal brackets is the most economical orthodontic treatment, but also the one that goes unnoticed the least.
- Sapphire brackets and invisible orthodontics (Invisalign) are similarly priced.
- The most expensive orthodontics is lingual orthodontics.
Orthodontist in Granada
If you have any further questions about adult orthodontics, or would like to begin treatment with an orthodontist you trust, please do not hesitate to contact us. In our dental clinic we specialize in adult orthodontics in Granada. We will be happy to advise you on the most appropriate orthodontics for you based on your needs and lifestyle. In addition, we have the latest technology in orthodontics so you can see digitally how your smile will look after orthodontic treatment.