Is interproximal hygiene really necessary?

Does it really do any good to clean between your teeth? It is common for patients to ask us about the need to clean between the teeth, either with dental floss or interproximal brushes.

Brushing removes approximately 60% of the plaque from the surfaces of our teeth. The other 40% corresponds to the interdental or interproximal areas. The use of interproximal brushes is recommended for people who have implants or periodontitis. These patients more frequently have spaces between the teeth, where dental floss is not sufficiently effective in removing bacterial biofilms. However, those whose space between the teeth is filled by gum should floss their teeth.

Bacterial plaque that remains between the teeth can be the cause of halitosis or bad breath.

What is an interproximal brush?

An interproximal brush is a cylindrical brush, smaller than a normal toothbrush. It is composed of a rigid central wire from which Tynex filaments are projected, which eliminate biofilms.

What are the benefits of using an interdental brush?

Maintaining good dental hygiene is fundamental not only for the health of our mouth, but also for our general health.

By using an interdental brush we ensure that we remove the plaque that remains in the interdental spaces of our mouth. In this way, we prevent periodontal diseases, gingivitis and periodontitis, and other oral diseases such as caries.

In addition, having a healthy mouth prevents bacteria present in the mouth from being transferred to other organs of the body, which can lead to systemic diseases.

Do you want to know how to use these devices for interdental hygiene? In Clínica Noguerol, we have a team of dentists and hygienists in the center of Granada specialized in oral prevention that will teach you how to improve your hygiene.

Make an appointment at 958270101 or through our website.

Oral health prevention in Granada.

Periodontics in Granada.

More Articles

5 benefits of orthodontics in adults

5 benefits of orthodontics in adults

Orthodontics has long ceased to be seen as a treatment exclusively for children and adolescents. This has been thanks to the latest advances in orthodontics, invisible orthodontics and the many benefits of adult orthodontics. We talk about all these benefits below. If you are thinking of starting this treatment and you have doubts about which […]

The main differences between a tooth-supported prosthesis and a dental implant

The main differences between a tooth-supported prosthesis and a dental implant

Among the different types of dental prostheses that exist, today we focus on the prosthesis on teeth, and its differences with the dental implant. We tell you how a fixed dental prosthesis on teeth differs from a prosthesis with dental implant, the best types of dental treatments to replace lost teeth and regain lost functionality […]

How long do dentures last?

How long do dentures last?

In order to be able to answer the question of how long dental prostheses last, the first thing to do is to assess the type of dental prosthesis we are talking about, the materials used to make them, their care and also the patient’s oral health. The following is a general estimate of the average […]