In today’s article we will tell you how to take care of dentures. We give you tips for proper cleaning and maintenance of your new smile. Having dentures or wearing dentures does not mean that you can forget about cleaning them.
Do you know all the types of dental prostheses?
If you want to enjoy a perfect smile for as long as dentures last, take note. Here are our tips for denture care.
Care of fixed dentures
Cleaning your teeth is equally important, regardless of whether you have natural teeth, dentures or dental implants. If your dentures are fixed, they should be cared for in the same way as natural teeth. That is to say:
- Brush your teeth after every meal with a soft toothbrush and a suitable toothpaste. Do not use ‘whitening’ toothpaste as it may change the color of fixed or removable dentures.
- Use dental floss or interdental brushes to remove food debris from between the teeth.
- Using a dental irrigator will help keep your gums healthier and cleaner.
- Add to your oral hygiene routine a mouthwash suitable for your fixed prostheses.
- Visit your dentist at least once every six months to assess the condition of your mouth and fixed dentures.
The care of removable dentures
If you wear removable dentures, you should follow the following tips for good care and maintenance of your teeth.
- Remove and wash the denture after each meal.
- Rinse the denture with water to remove food debris. Perform this operation on a towel, or with the sink full of water. This will prevent the denture from breaking if it falls out.
- During denture care you should avoid bending or damaging the denture. Handle with care.
- When you remove your dentures for cleaning, take the opportunity to clean your mouth as well. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush to clean the gums, palate, natural teeth (if present) and tongue.
- If you use denture adhesive, in this step you should remove any glue residue left on the gum.
- Before going to bed, brush the dentures, remove them and clean them carefully with a soft bristle brush and a non-abrasive denture cleanser specifically for dentures. These cleaners are used exclusively for denture care outside the mouth.
- Overnight, soak the dentures in water or in a specific solution for soaking dentures. This will help the teeth maintain their shape. Never clean the denture with boiling water or water that is too hot.
- Before putting the denture back in, make sure to rinse it well with water. This is especially important if special solutions are used.
- In any case, to take good care of dentures, it is important to follow your dentist’s instructions.
- The dentist will give you regular appointments for professional cleanings to make sure the dentures are in perfect condition.
- In case you notice that your dentures are loosening, do not hesitate to visit your dentist immediately. Dentures that are not properly secured can cause irritation, sores and even infection.
Dental prosthesis in Granada
Remember that for a good maintenance of your dentures it is important to visit the dentist periodically. If you have any questions, or would like to replace your missing teeth, please contact us.
Clínica Noguerol specializes in fixed and removable dental prostheses in Granada.